Why Do I Photograph Mushrooms?

Updated: Jun 13, 2019

“A picture is worth a thousand words.” There is a unique beauty to mushrooms, these intriguing and environmentally vital organisms that most people are unaware of. Mystery alone has the power to inspire people, and in this case grant nature the ability to deeply impress its viewer.


If curiosity and a wider appreciation for nature can be achieved, so can the drive to save it. Each of us is responsible in taking care of our planet, and if a photo of a fascinating mushroom can inspire even one person to look at nature in a more compassionate, or conversationalist light, then I’ve done my job. ​


Did you know that most plant species depend on symbiotic relationship with fungi? Did you know that mushrooms are only the “flowers” on the surface of an underground network of fungal roots called “mycelium”? Recognized as a communicative network between plants and the natural world, scientists believe that mycelium is capable of repairing our health, restoring our ecosystem, and revitalizing our symbiotic relationship with nature.


We live in a plastic world. Every piece of plastic ever made still exists. 50% is used only once and a mere 5% of all plastic used is recycled. That leaves 95% to clutter our planet in landfills, in oceans, everywhere. Plastic is now the number one source of pollution. This both sickens and motivates me. This makes me want to be a better naturalist, and a better person.


Did you know that fungi are capable of breaking down plastics? Fungi are responsible for 90% of all decomposition on the planet. Only time will tell how specialized and widespread this recycling process will become. Through fungi, we are looking toward a more sustainable future and a healthier planet Earth.


One of my favorite fungi quotes is by mycologist Peter McCoy: "Two facts become quickly apparent for anyone studying mycology: 1) Fungi are incredibly important and fascinating and 2) Nobody knows about number 1.”


I photograph mushrooms for their beauty, for their capacity to inspire, and for their acute potential to change the world.




7 views

©2019 by Friendly Fungus Photography.